Saturday, March 28, 2009

Bikus

It's been a while since I last posted, about a week. The reason has been that I've been off the bike for that practically amount of time. I got a ride from Monterey to SF to LA in a variety of ways, let's say they involved hitchhiking, Enterprise car rental (which has the best customer service of any company I've encountered, ever), craigslist rideshare, friends and friends of friends. (Big thanks to Baumer for coming through with an impromptu mini-road trip.)

I'm back in LA contemplating my future, waiting for the Achilles to heal and strengthen. Yesterday and today I road to Julien's and back (about 8-10 miles round-trip) and I've been feeling alright, still a bit hesitant to push it though.

Here are some long past due pictures from the trip (the pics are very selective, because I often would forget that I had a camera):



Elephant seal mating/battle grounds, near San Simeon. They're small, but if you look closely you can see some.


Hill.


Sunset in one of the most beautiful campgrounds I've ever stayed in, right on the ocean near Big Sur.


Breakfast in Big Sur.


Leaving Kirk Creek campground.


Ahh, the San Francisco skyline, taken from Dolores Park near Lisa's place in the Mission District.


And here are some bike-related haikus I wrote while I was in misery in Monterey:

California coast
Looks more beautiful when you're
Riding down the hills.

Swiss cyclers got lost
Looking for a place to eat
We all ate porridge.

Wind, cars and gravity
Are tough but cannot compete
With biking music.

Hubris got Achilles;
I've never read the Iliad
But perhaps lived it?

After a long climb
Energy bars taste as good
As double burgers.

2 comments:

  1. If you think Dolores Park was cool, you should have seen it on Sunday. It was packed! I was standing in that same spot. Hope you liked SF.

    ReplyDelete