Friday, March 6, 2009

"Facebook doesn't have, like, a harem option or alpha/beta/gamma male option, so I think that definitely falls under the complicated category."

I just came across this weird/funny article from my iGoogle home page, titled, "For Seals On Facebook, 'It's Complicated'" . It's about marine biologists at UC Santa Cruz tracking the mating habits of elephant seals on the California cost. I don't approve of wild animals having Facebook profiles, but a quote from one of the researchers (which serves as this post's title) made me laugh.

What struck me about this article was that the area where these seals mate is called Año Nuevo State Reserve, which is on Route 1 in between Santa Cruz and San Francisco, right along which should be my proposed route for my last day on the trip north. Now, I was a bit puzzled because on previous (car) trips up and down California, I stopped at a colony of elephant seals on the beach (see pic below), but I remember it being a lot farther south than that one, closer to Santa Barbara I believe. I assume there are multiple elephant seal mating/battle grounds on the California coast. I'll have to investigate.

1 comment:

  1. i went to ano nuevo last year and it's incredible. i think you may have to be part of a tour to go actually see them, though. if you can do it, it's well worth it for the sheer girth of these mammoths. the noises they make sound like a cross between jurassic park dinosaurs and star wars beasts.

    ReplyDelete