Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Gear

John Muir set out to explore the Yosemite Valley with just a giant overcoat stuffed with biscuits. Here's everything I have for the trip haul to SF:
  • bike tools (allen wrenches, spare tubes, pump, lock, etc.)
  • bike gear (helmet, gloves, 2 pairs bike shorts, bike shoes, sunglasses, water bottles)
  • clothes (3 T-shirts, socks and boxers, pair of jeans, 2 sweatshirts, jacket, 2 long sleeve shirts, sweatpants, hiking boots, baseball cap, warm hat)
  • rain poncho
  • various food items (tuna, oatmeal, Cliff bars, beans)--I may scrap this and just buy stuff along the way
  • cookware (pot, pan, utensils, small gas stove and propane)
  • sleeping bag, tent, sleeping pad, headlamp flashlight
  • maps
  • iPod, cell phone, camera (and their respective chargers), binoculars, spare batteries
  • Moby Dick by Herman Melville
  • toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, first-aid kit, soap, hand sanitizer, deodorant
  • sunblock and bug spray
  • drugs (OTC)
What I still need:
  • can opener
Getting all my gear together and packing it up is making more and more excited and slightly more and more nervous. Riding today was, no other way to put it, bad. I was experiencing some slight aches and pains in my knees and left Achilles tendon. The traffic seemed thicker than usual. Plus and got a flat tire in Venice which took some time to replace, so I cut the ride short by about 10 miles, only doing 20. Not a good last ride before Solvang and the trip up north. Though, the extra rest will be welcome to recharge by body and refocus for the next couple weeks.

Having all my gear is comforting in all this, but also adds another element to worry about now. With about 80% packed, it seems to weigh a little less than the weights I used. A gallon of water weighs about 8 lbs. and there will likely be more food to buy. Looks like I'll be travelling at a steady 12-15 mph with the Ibex attached--at that pace, 60 miles could take up to 5 hours on the bike, 6-7 with stops.

If I seem a bit down, I'm pretty exhausted and a little daunted by the task that lies ahead. Nothing a solid sleep won't fix, I hope. Maybe tomorrow I'll go see The Wrestler to put things--at least things physical--in perspective.


starting to fill up...


yea, I built the tent in my room...

6 comments:

  1. Floss???

    If you're going for low weight than scrap all the cookware - that stuff is heavy and not essential at all.

    Just my opinion - I don't want to tell you how to ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. true true...but how would i cook? i was thinking it would be nice to eat something hot in the morning and at night...oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, beans, corn, maybe some meat. if worse comes to worse and i'm dying and can just scrap it on the road.

    who is this, btw (i assume not a dentist)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's been trips when I've mailed the cookware home, but I agree - nice to have hot food. Definitely buy food along the way - I'd never carry more than a day's food. I'd ditch the hiking boots too, unless there's a hike that you're desperate to do along the way. Yesterday's anonymous comment was me, but not the previous one on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Thomas - hiking boots probably add quite a bit of weight. If you need hot food, then go for it...but at what cost? I personally don't mind cold food, but to each his own.

    -Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  5. is your moby dick copy a hardcover or paperback? that's the key.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's an original gold-plated hard cover first edition from 1851. hopefully, it won't get water-damaged.

    ReplyDelete